Thursday, November 17, 2005

Chemotherapy

Chemotherapy. I spent a week with blisters in my mouth, unable to talk and barely able to eat. My hair is now falling out. I've lost most of my pubic hair. Of course, on the up side, I haven't had to shave anything. Legs and underarms are nude. I noticed this morning that my skin has started to peel.

My next round is on November 22. I've already started to dread it. I'm going to buck up about this, but it's just taking a little longer right now. I plan to have a serious discussion with my medical oncologist about the mouth issue. I can be very determined and vocal when situations warrant. I'd say this warrants it.

People constantly tell me that I'm an inspiration. They're easily inspired. About the best that could be said about me is that I don't mope or take to my bed. I frequently find things funny and invite others to laugh with me. Is this inspirational? Maybe that's just because I choose to search for personal meaning in this current travail.

I think that it's imperative, when one has lived such a difficult life as mine, to try to find some meaning in it. If I believed that all of my suffering has been random and meaningless, I'm not sure I'd wish to continue. Meaning is a tricky thing, though. Sometimes it can take years to assimilate terrible circumstances, wade through the pain and actually find reasons why all that suffering wasn't pointless. There are definitely some things I'm still trying to puzzle out. I'm patient, though. I have time.

I establish some meaning for myself. That is not necessarily the meaning the universe has assigned to it. Nonetheless, there are lessons to be learned if one is capable of waiting patiently for them to become manifest. At the end of all suffering, now and in the past, is a way to become more fully human. For as much as I have suffered, I'm more able to see the suffering of others. I'm more able to find compassion for others.

For a month or so, I've been working toward releasing all of the anger, hatred and resentment that I carry around with me. Some of it is easy to find. I could probably name five or six people I'm enraged with just off the top of my head. There is a lot that I keep hidden from myself. Rage has never been an acceptable emotion for me. My dad pretty much had that market cornered. Unfortunately, I will have to dredge it up in order to let it go. That's quite a task.

Today my lesson is that I am more than the sum of my parts. I am more than my breast, my hair or my skin. It's much easier than learning all of the places in my being where I've stashed some rage just so that I could function effectively in the world. That's the other part of being an inspiration, I guess. Having the heart to keep going, come what may.