Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Grace

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I just hugged someone who betrayed me several years ago. I thanked her for stopping by. I'm not sure whether that means I've moved farther down the road to forgiveness or that I'm not brave enough to continue on with my cold indifference. I could say having cancer makes a difference in one's ability to see past human frailty, but I'm not sure that's true.

Every day, I pray for and work towards forgiveness and the abandonment of rage and hatred. In this particular case, hugging was a manifestation of grace in my life. There's still a small part of me keeping track of the things she did. Maybe someday I'll stop remembering. I'm not quite that strong yet.

Surgery countdown: 7 days