Thursday, February 01, 2007

Take a Deep Breath and Go On

On Monday, I had four drainage tubes removed. It's amazing how much better I feel without five inches of plastic tubing stuck into my body in four places.

When I finally went over to my office after the ice storm, I found my wild, gold Good Boy looking very emaciated. He's my favorite kitty. We've known each other for over 10 years now and, though he likes to leave the comfort and security of a guaranteed meal to roam wild across the street at the former airport. He was gone all summer and when he came home, he was a skinny guy. He always loses weight during his wild times, but this year he hasn't been able to gain the weight back. I think he probably either has parasites or feline leukemia. Maybe both. The ice storm was hard for him and I can tell he's not well. I've cried about it every day for three weeks now. Yesterday, I tried to capture him so I could take him to a vet, but he got away from me. It was heartbreaking. He's always been able to trust me and to count on me. I'm sure he felt betrayed. I was afraid he'd leave and never come back, but I went back late yesterday afternoon and there he was. He let me pet him a little. I worry that the struggle to get away from me cost him precious energy he needs to survive.

The nature of life is suffering. Eventually, we all become ill, we all get hurt, we all lose everyone and everything we love. Love requires us to open wide our hearts to this suffering and embrace it, time and time again. I'm willing to walk through the pain in order to receive the blessings of love. This is one of those times when love will be painful. Over the past year and a half, I've learned to let go of the illusion of control. Whatever happens to me is God's will and my job is to get with that program. I can do that. I do that every day. It's not so easy to do it when it involves someone I love. I won't be able to protect my Good Boy from pain, from the cold that's coming this weekend. I'll do what I can to create a place for him, but none of this is truly within my control. I'm so, so sad.

Aside from that, I'm still in a lot of physical pain. My absence here has less to do with the pain than the fact that I don't have the luxury of cable access. I just waited a good five minutes for this page to load. I am not, by nature, a patient woman. This surgery has been the most difficult part of my treatment. I feel well enough to struggle with my physical limitations. I can't do very much for fear of tearing the stitches that hold my stomach together. My doctor has pointed out to me several times that he had a very difficult time getting it to work. I have to be mindful of what I do.

My patience and will have been used up getting through all of the other parts of my treatment. Sometimes I don't feel I can continue. I don't have a choice, though. I must continue. My friends and family tell me that it would be very odd if I weren't down at this point in my treatment. Unfortunately, I have to live inside this body and it's not so easy for me to accept the inevitability of feeling bad. I take a deep breath and go on.