Friday, September 16, 2005

A Year Without My Breast

Before we can become who we really are, we must become conscious of the fact that the person who we think we are, here and now, is at best an impostor and a stranger. - Thomas Merton

I'm just back from the city where I'm being treated for breast cancer. Shortly after I returned yesterday, my surgeon's physician's assistant called me to tell me she can't schedule the plastic surgeon until the end of November. In addition to the mastectomy, I'm also scheduled for a bone marrow test and they'll install the port through which I'll receive chemotherapy. None of us feels particularly comfortable with waiting that long. My other option is to have the mastectomy done on September 26 and leave things as they are until later. Much, much later. Lori informed me that I won't be having reconstructive surgery for a year. Once again, I was not prepared for that news.

As a survivor of sexual abuse and the weirdest fucking childhood of anyone I know, the mastectomy triggers a lot fear. It's a terror that is both predictable and astounding.

My breasts and I have always had an unusual relationship. On the one hand, they were one of my very best features. Even as I've gotten older, they haven't begun to sag. On the other hand, I've had more men hold conversations with them than I can count. It can be annoying beyond compare to try to have a serious, intellectual discussion with someone whose eyes never get above my chest. On the other hand, breasts are the source of enormous power. That hasn't mattered as much after I met my husband. My hubby loves my breasts. On the face of it, you'd think that would be a good thing. It is a good thing until one of them is getting ready to disappear for a year.

I know Hubby loves me for much more than The Girls. He loves my intelligence and sense of humor, my gentleness and compassion, my creativity and humor. Nonetheless, I find that I'm terrified that he'll leave me when only one of The Girls shows up to party on date nights. It's so hard for me to confront those fears and I think that, no matter how much reassurance he gives me, I probably won't be able to rid myself of them.

That's because the problem is me, not him. When you've spent many years of your life reaping the benefits of being pretty, you just have to start to wonder if the world will be more difficult to navigate when that's no longer a factor. Do I have something to offer the world other than the way I look? Of course. Maybe I'm just uncertain as to whether other people can recognize those things.

I hate it that I feel this way. If, twenty years ago, someone had told me that there would come a time when I would be afraid of losing my attractiveness, I would have told them they were fucking idiots. And yet. Here I am. I can't help but think that this ha something to do with the values with which I was raised. Specifically, the idea that men really are shallow assholes who only respond to women's sexuality.

In my house, if the woman wasn't having sex the right way (i.e., the way my dad wanted it), then one could be replaced. Or one could be beaten until they got it right. Sex was the be all, end all. You cannot imagine how wrenching it is to write about this. It feels like something inside of me is being ripped apart. No matter how much I may identify myself as a feminista, the bottom line is that it seems I've adopted those values. It's just one of those nasty little secrets I've kept from myself.

I suppose the opportunitiy to be seized in this situation is a greater acceptance of myself, without regard to how I look. I suppose I should use this time to test the assumptions I've made about men and about me. Opportunities abound. I guess the question I'm left with is whether I'm strong enough to see them and, having seen them, can I find my way to embrace whoever will be still standing at the end of this year. I know she will not be the same woman who now sits here, typing.